Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on these links and make a qualifying purchase, I will receive a small commission from those purchases.
Disney MaxPass is the latest add on to your Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park vacation. We share everything you need to know before you purchase Disney MaxPass.
Ultimate Guide to Disney MaxPass
What is Disney MaxPass?
Disneyland MaxPass is an add on to your Disneyland app experience, where you can book your FastPass reservations (FastPass return time) right from your phone. You can book up to (5) FastPass selections per day.
It is not like the FastPass+ reservations at Walt Disney World. You book one FastPass and then you have to wait a little bit, before you can book your next Disneyland FastPass.
This is a little frustrating that you cannot book them all at once. However, you do not have to wait as long to book them. For example, we added the Disney MaxPass to our phone and were able to book our first FastPass reservation at California Screamin within 15 minutes. We literally walked right over to the ride for the quick return time! That was amazing.
You can purchase Disney MaxPass right on your Disney account on the Disneyland app. We LOVE the price of Disney MaxPass. This add on includes both FastPass reservations and unlimited PhotoPass downloads. It is an amazing value.
In addition to the (5) FastPass reservations per day, you also get unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads. We love getting photos with the PhotoPass photographers at the Disneyland Parks. The PhotoPass downloads also include ride pictures from the theme parks.
We took about 10 PhotoPass photos each day we used DisneyMax. Since a 5 x 7 pic is $14.95 each, we certainly got the value of the Disney MaxPass, with our PhotoPass pictures alone.
Redeem FastPass Reservations
When it comes time for your FastPass reservation, you will go to the FastPass line at the ride, attraction, or show. Be sure you have the barcode from your FastPass reservation on your phone. You will have to scan this barcode, before entering the line.
Good & Bad of Disney MaxPass
What We LOVED about Disney MaxPass
There is so much to love about the Disney MaxPass system. Here are some of the highlights.
- Easy to add on your smart phone, even during your day at the Disneyland Parks: We added the Disney MaxPass to our vacation on the 2nd day, right from the Disneyland Parks. It was simple to add it, pay for it, and start using it.
- Replacement Disney FastPass entitlements: We had several FastPass attractions booked and then the ride went down. We got replacement FastPass tickets added back to our Disney MaxPass account, without lifting a finger. Even better, the replacement FastPass reservations were for any ride at any time, so we did not have to re-book any FastPass reservations. This option was amazing! If you have any additional issues, stop by a Guest Relations kiosk throughout the Disneyland Parks.
- Less stress: We did spend the first part of our vacation running around getting FastPass reservations. This is fine, but having the opportunity to book a FastPass right from our phone was incredible. It immediately took the stress off us and enjoy our vacation more.
- Loved the cost: I know this one will be controversial, since My Disney Experience and FastPass+ reservations are free at Disney World. You can still run around Disneyland and get FastPass+ reservations or you can spend a little bit more to get this experience. It is very reasonable in cost, especially with the add on of PhotoPass. I am sure Disney will increase this price in the future, because for Disney, I thought this was an amazing deal!
- Quickly add your PhotoPass pictures right to your Disney MaxPass: You can just add the code, including the ride codes right into your app and your pictures will pop up!
- Reserve FastPass reservations to super popular shows like World of Color or Fantasmic!
- Book FastPass reservations to popular rides like Space Mountain, Toy Story Midway Mania, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Goofy’s Sky School, its a small world, Guardians of the Galaxy Mission, Incredicoaster, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Big Thunder Mountain, Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin, and more. This will save you hours in wait times.
- Loss of FastPass reservations: The rides do tend to break down a lot at Disneyland. We used a FastPass for Splash Mountain and even got to the front of the line, when the ride went down. We lost the FastPass, because we were not able to ride it. The Cast Members at the ride were not able to issue any replacement FastPass entitlements. We had to go to Guest Relations to get it sorted out. This was a little frustrating!
- Only immediate FastPass times: The Disney MaxPass experience does not give you opportunities to book FastPass times in the future. Most of the times are within an hour or two of the current time. It would be nice to be able to search for a specific time for your FastPass. We were looking for some evening FastPass reservations, so we had to keep checking the app, later in the day.
- Wrong PhotoPass pics: When we rode Splash Mountain later in our trip, we tried to add our PhotoPass pic. It would not pull up our picture. Instead it pulled up another family. I went to the Photo Booth and was told we needed to go Guest Relations at the front of the park to get it figured out. It is such a new app, even the Disney Cast Members do not know enough about it to help.
Here is a video from our day at Disneyland using the new Disney MaxPass app.
Is MaxPass Worth It?
Overall the new Disney MaxPass is pretty amazing. We reserve it on every Disneyland vacation. I highly recommend adding this to your Disneyland app, when you arrive to the Disneyland Resort. It was an incredible timesaver for our family vacation to Disneyland in California.
Have you tried the new Disney MaxPass? What did you think?