Disneyland now offers an amazing add on to your Disney vacation in California. This new add on is called Disney MaxPass. It is in the first week of testing and we were excited to be one of the first families to try it out. Your first step is to download the Disneyland App to your smart phone. You can then add the option of Disney MaxPass.
Ultimate Guide to Disney MaxPass
What is Disney MaxPass?
Disney MaxPass is an add on to your Disneyland app experience, where you can book your FastPass reservations right from your phone. You can book up to (5) FastPass reservations per day. It is not like the FastPass+ reservations at Disney World. You book one FastPass and then you have to wait a little bit, before you can book your next FastPass. This is a little frustrating that you cannot book them all at once. However, you do not have to wait as long to book them. For example, we added the Disney MaxPass to our phone and were able to book our first FastPass reservation at California Screamin within 15 minutes. We literally walked right over to the ride! That was amazing.
How Much is Disney MaxPass?
The Disney MaxPass is reasonable at $10 per person per day per ticket. We did think this was very reasonable considering the cost of “front of the line” type opportunities at other parks. In addition to the (5) FastPass reservations per day, you also get unlimited PhotoPass pictures. This includes the ride pictures. We took about 10 PhotoPass pics each day we used DisneyMax. Since a 5 x 7 pic is $14.95 each, we certainly got the value of the Disney MaxPass, with our PhotoPass pictures alone.
Good & Bad of Disney MaxPass
What We LOVED about Disney MaxPass:
- Easy to add on your smart phone, even during your day at the Disneyland Parks: We added the Disney MaxPass to our vacation on the 2nd day, right from the Disneyland Parks. It was simple to add it, pay for it, and start using it.
- Replacement FastPass entitlements: We had several FastPass reservations booked and then the ride went down. We got replacement FastPass reservations added back to our Disney MaxPass account, without lifting a finger. Even better, the replacement FastPass reservations were for any ride at any time, so we did not have to re-book any FastPass reservations. This option was amazing!
- Less stress: We did spend the first part of our vacation running around getting FastPass reservations. This is fine, but having the opportunity to book a FastPass right from our phone was incredible. It immediately took the stress off us and enjoy our vacation more.
- Loved the cost: I know this one will be controversial, since My Disney Experience and FastPass+ reservations are free at Disney World. You can still run around Disneyland and get FastPass+ reservations or you can spend a little bit more to get this experience. It is very reasonable in cost, especially with the add on of PhotoPass. I am sure Disney will increase this price in the future, because for Disney, I thought this was an amazing deal!
- You can add your PhotoPass pictures right to your Disney MaxPass: You can just add the code, including the ride codes right into your app and your pictures will pop up!
- Loss of FastPass reservations: The rides do tend to break down a lot at Disneyland. We used a FastPass for Splash Mountain and even got to the front of the line, when the ride went down. We lost the FastPass, because we were not able to ride it. The Cast Members at the ride were not able to issue any replacement FastPass entitlements. We had to go to Guest Relations to get it sorted out. This was a little frustrating!
- Only immediate FastPass times: The Disney MaxPass experience does not give you opportunities to book FastPass times in the future. Most of the times are within an hour or two of the current time. It would be nice to be able to search for a specific time for your FastPass. We were looking for some evening FastPass reservations, so we had to keep checking the app, later in the day.
- Wrong PhotoPass pics: When we rode Splash Mountain later in our trip, we tried to add our PhotoPass pic. It would not pull up our picture. Instead it pulled up another family. I went to the Photo Booth and was told we needed to go Guest Relations at the front of the park to get it figured out. It is such a new app, even the Disney Cast Members do not know enough about it to help.
Here is a video from our day at Disneyland using the new Disney MaxPass app.
Overall the new Disney MaxPass is pretty amazing. I highly recommend adding this to your Disneyland app, when you arrive to the Disneyland Resort. It was an incredible timesaver for our family vacation to Disneyland in California.
Follow more Jones Family Travels adventures on YouTube!
Have you tried the new Disney MaxPass? What did you think?