One of the most delicious seafood restaurants at Disney World is the Flying Fish Cafe at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn Resort. This restaurant is walking distance from Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Step into the carnival at Flying Fish Cafe with a huge ferris wheel on the back wall, parachutes with flying fish hanging from the ceiling, and colorful fish sculptures. The whole family will enjoy the open kitchen, where you can watch the chefs prepare your food.
Flying Fish features several delicious appetizers including Signature Flying Fish Cafe Appetizer Duo, Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake, Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tepura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi Roll, Vegetarian Sushi Roll, Chardonnay-Steamed PEI Green Isle Mussels, Crispy Togarashi-Scented Calamari and Royal Red Shrimp, and Worldly Artisanal Cheeses.
The Signature Flying Fish Cafe Appetizer Duo is crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake accompanied with their special caesar salad. The Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake comes with a savory vegetable slaw, roasted red peppers, and a spicy romoulade sauce. Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tepura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi Roll includes Hijiki and Wakame Seaweed, Yuzu Tobiko and Wasabi Foam with a sweet and spicy sauce. The Vegetarian Sushi Roll includes tofu, avocado, radish and carrot roll, cucumber seaweed salad with Asian Chile Crema and Piquant Mango Sweet Yellow Pepper Ketchup. The Chardonnay-Steamed PEI Green Isle Mussels includes fennel, chiles, pesto crema, and Ciabatta Crostini. The Crispy Togarashi-Scented Calamari and Royal Red Shrimp include a spiced green papaya, Wakame and vegetable julienne with an Asian inspired dipping sauce. For a lighter choice, try the Worldly Artisanal Cheese with five tastes of cheese.
For soups or salads, Flying Fish Cafe features several selections including Chef’s Thunder Appetizer: Roasted Heirloom Beets and Fresh Vermont Goat Cheese, Soup of the Day, Epcot Land Pavillion Sweet Bibb and Red Oak Salad, Flying Fish Cafe Caesar Salad, and Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala.
Flying Fish Cafe is one of the best restaurants at Disney World for seafood, including delicious entrees like Signature Flying Fish Cafe Entree Duo, Our Chef’s Special Thunder Fish Entree, Oak-Grilled Main Scallops, Flying Fish Cafe’s Idaho Potato-Wrapped Red Snapper, Chef’s Eco-Friendly/Sustainable Fish Selection, Fragrant Asian Spiced-Crusted Yellowfin Tuna Filet, Orechiette di Abruzzo Pasta a la Bolognese, Native Pepperberry and Wattleseed and Juniper-Crusted American Kurobuta Pork and Slow-Braised Belly, and Char-Crusted Angus New York Strip Steak.
The Signature Flying Fish Cafe Entree Duo is a Char-Crusted Angus New York Strip Steak and potato wrapped Red Snapper. The Chef’s Special Thunder Fish Entree changes based on the season. Some of the options, including Brioche and Herb Crusted Stripped Bass, Oak-Grilled Florida Coast Cobia, or Pan Roasted Port Canaveral Golden Tile. The Oak-Grilled Maine Scallops include fine herbs, celery root, wild and cultivated mushrooms, romano, and risotto. Flying Fish Cafe’s Idaho Potato-Wrapped Red Snapper is over a rich leek fondue with veal glace de viande and red wine reduction. The Chef’s Eco-Friendly/Sustainable Fish Selection is Oak Grilled Faroe Islands Salmon with brown laced cauliflower puree, roasted cauliflower colors, toasted pumpkin seeks, and Istrian pumpkin seed oil. The Fragrant Asian Spice-Crusted Yellowfin Tuna Filet included scallion-laced rice cake, stir fly of bok choy, salsifis, snow peas, tiny shiitakes, sea beans, lime and coconut infusion.
For meat entrees try the Orechiette di Abruzzo Pasta a la Bolognese with little ear pasta and rustic five meat ragout, sun dried tomatoes with arugula and romano. Native Pepperberry and Wattleseed and Juniper-Crusted American Kurobuta Pork and Slow-Braised Belly are served with wilted greens, braised pork, leek and wild mushroom bread pudding with a huckleberry, pomegranate balsamico, porcini, port wine and red onion compote. The Char-Crusted Angus New York Strip Steak includes potatoes, vegetables, and a Foyot sauce.
Be sure you save room for dessert at Flying Fish Cafe! One of my favorite treats is the Trio of Concession Sweets (following the carnival theme). This dessert includes popcorn mousse, caramel corn and cherry limeade popsicle, and dark chocolate fudge burger and pound cake fries. You will want to pull out your camera and take a picture of this fun dessert from your vacation. Some other desserts include the Signature Flying Fish Caramelized Banana Napoleon, Ginger-Laced Sour Cream Apple Torta, Seasonal House Made Sorbets, Frangelico-Laced Dark Chocolate Mousse Creation, Creme Brulee, and “Our Chef’s No Sugar Added Specialty” Cashew-Crusted Blueberry Goat Cheesecake.
Flying Fish Cafe is a Signature Table Service Restaurant and does take Disney Dining entitlements. They do take (2) sit down meals per person for this restaurant. Advanced Dining Reservations are also required. Call 407-WDW-DINE or your travel expert to book this popular restaurant. Prices range from $12-18 for appetizers, $22-Market Price for entrees, and $7-9 for desserts.
Join the carnival fun and enjoy a delicious dinner at Flying Fish Cafe on your next visit to Disney World.
For our Celebrations readers at home, I want you to get a taste of the Flying Fish Cafe with the popular Signature Flying Fish Caramelized Banana Napoleon dessert. Enjoy!
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 ½ cups whipped cream (divided)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 ⅓ cups sugar (divided)
- ¾ cup butter (divided)
- 5 frozen phyllo pastry sheets
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 bananas (cut into ¼ inch thick sliced)
- Whipped cream
- Grated chocolate
- Whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup whipping cream; set aside.
- Combine 1-1/4 cups whipping cream and 1/3 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise; scrape seeds into saucepan, and add vanilla bean halves.
- Bring vanilla mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; discard vanilla bean.
- Whisk about one-fourth of hot mixture gradually into yolk mixture; add to remaining hot mixture, whisking constantly. Skim air bubbles from top of mixture. Pour mixture into an 8-inch square pan. Place into a 13×9 inch pan. Add hot water to large pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove pan from water, and cool. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine. Stack phyllo, brushing each sheet with butter and sprinkling with powdered sugar. Cut phyllo stack into 16 (3-inch) squares.
- Place squares on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, and cool to room temperature.
- Cook remaining 1 cup sugar and remaining 1/4 cup of butter or margarine in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Slowly add remaining 1 cup whipping cream, and cook, stirring constantly, 8-10 minutes or until caramel color. Set aside.
- Cut chilled custard into 6 squares. Place one square on each of 6 dessert plates. Top each square of custard with 1 phyllo square. Drizzle a small amount of caramel sauce around custard.
- Stir together banana and remaining caramel sauce. Spoon evenly over phyllo squares. Top each with a second phyllo square, and garnish, if desired.