This is our complete guide to Walt Disney World reopening guidelines.
Walt Disney World Resort Phased Reopening and Important Information
- Walt Disney World theme parks will open beginning July 11 for Magic Kingdom Park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park followed by EPCOT and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 15.
- Additionally, Disney Vacation Club properties at Walt Disney World and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen to Members and Guests on June 22. Disney Vacation Club properties in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will open on June 15.
- Disney Springs has already begun to reopen. Upon reopening, theme parks, Disney Resort Hotels, restaurants and other offerings may be modified, limited in capacity and subject to availability or closure.
- Walt Disney World has taken enhanced health and safety measures. Follow all posted instructions while visiting Walt Disney World Resort. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present.
Top Things to Know for Walt Disney World Reopening
Here are the top things to know as you prepare to visit:
- When theme parks reopen, park attendance will be limited in accordance with CDC guidelines for physical distancing using a new park reservation system (see below).
- To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date is required
- Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 2 and up) and Cast Members.
- Temperature screenings are required in some locations.
- Some experiences—including theme parks—may be modified or unavailable to allow for physical distancing and limited contact
- Helpful technology and the My Disney Experience app will help you make the most of the magic
Walt Disney World Reopening Guidelines: A New Reservation System
Disney parks will reopen with some important updates to promote physical distancing, including:
- Park Reservations: Initially, park attendance will be managed through a new park reservation system. To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date is required.
- New Ticket Sales: At this time, new ticket sales are temporarily paused. Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold. Additional details will be shared with these Guests soon. New ticket sales will resume after that period of time.
- New Disney Resort Hotel Reservations: At this time, new reservations at Disney Resort hotels are temporarily paused so we can focus on Guests with existing reservations (Disney Vacation Club Members can still make new reservations). Reservations will resume after that period of time.
Upon reopening, theme parks, Disney Resort hotels, restaurants, attractions, experiences and other offerings may be modified and will be limited in capacity and subject to limited availability or closure, based on direction from health experts and government officials to promote physical distancing.
Additionally, attractions, experiences (such as shows, parades and fireworks), services and amenities may have limited availability or may remain closed.
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions and reductions, the following will be canceled:
- Dining reservations
- Experience bookings, such as VIP tours and behind-the-scenes tours
- Disney dining plans included in vacation packages
- ALL FastPass+ selections
In addition to the above, Extra Magic Hours will be temporarily suspended.
Select third-party owned and operated restaurants and experiences may remain in place.
Additionally, Disney will shift the 180 day booking window for dining and experience bookings to 60 days. This will allow guests to make these bookings closer to their vacation dates. Of course, this will not take place until Disney has re-instituted those reservation systems that are on a temporary hold.
Additional operational updates can be found on Disney’s site, specifically regarding how multi-day tickets with usage windows during the quarantine will be handled.
Walt Disney World Tickets
With regard to partially used, mult-day Disney World tickets purchased through June 6, 2020 with a valid use period from March 12, 2020 onward will be automatically extended to use on any date through September 26, 2021. If you’re still unable to use the ticket by September 26, 2021, Disney will apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for use on a future date.
Florida Resident Discover Disney tickets may be used through September 30, 2020.
To provide additional flexibility, Disney has modified the existing cancellation and refund policy for reservations to the date of check-in for your vacation. All cancellation and modification fees have been waived up to the check-in day
Walt Disney World Resorts
Disney Vacation Club properties at Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen to Members and guests on June 22, 2020.
Disney Vacation Club properties in Vero Beach and Hilton Head will open to Members and guests on June 15, 2020.
Plans to support physical distancing and enhanced cleaning measures, along with a number of other safety and cleanliness protocols, will be implemented as part of the reopening.
Disney waives all cancellation and change fees associated with resort bookings up to the date of check-in for arrivals through October 3,2020. If no action is taken for impacted stays, Disney will automatically cancel your reservation within 7 days of the original check-in date and process any refund due to the original form of payment.
Contact Disney for more information on cancelling or changing your reservations. If you did not book through Disney directly, contact your travel professional.
Walt Disney World Shopping
Disney Springs has been opened for several weeks. You can watch this video or read this blog post to learn 11 things you should know about shopping at Disney Springs.
Walt Disney World Resort: Other Experiences
The ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and all mini-golf experiences will remain closed until further notice.
Golf and FootGolf experiences remain available on their regular schedule.
We are excited to visit Disney World once it reopens. Are you ready for a Disney World vacation?