Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on these links and make a qualifying purchase, I will receive a small commission from those purchases.
Are you a Harry Potter fan? We are, too!
We love the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. One of our favorite treats is Butterbeer. You can enjoy frozen Butterbeer, Butterbeer ice cream, and hot even Butterbeer at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
When we are home, we love testing out copycat Butterbeer recipes. We found our favorite cold Butterbeer recipes. We thought it was time to find some Hot Butterbeer Recipes that remind us of Wizarding World of Harry Potter. For the kids, you can make this a warm Butterbeer. You will love these Harry Potter recipes.
Table of Contents
Hot Butterbeer Recipe List
I’ve modified all the Butterbeer recipes below to make a single serving. To make more servings, just multiply these recipe amounts by the number of servings you wish to serve!
Harry Potter Butterbeer Recipe #1
This Butterbeer recipe is pretty close to the “real” thing at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It’s certainly closer than the two cold recipes. Plus, it is an easy recipe!
- 10 OZ of Cream Soda (1 & 1/4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp of Salted REAL Butter
- 1/2 Cup Butterscotch chips
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Put the Butterscotch Chips and Butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir and Heat for another 30 seconds. Now add the Heavy Cream to the bowl.
- Microwave in 30 Second increments again. Stirring each time. It usually takes about 4 times (2 minutes) to get the right consistency. Set your mixture aside. The chips and butter should be a thick stir-able paste.
- Heat Cream soda in the microwave for 90 seconds. BE VERY CAREFUL! Microwaves times vary. Make sure not to over heat the Cream Soda or all of the fizz will be gone.
- Pour Butterscotch mixture into heated Cream Soda.
- Stir & Serve!
DIY Hot Butterbeer Recipe #2
This hot butterbeer recipe was the clear winner! Tastes almost exactly like the drink served at the two Harry Potter parks at Universal Orlando Resort!
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- Two 12-ounce bottles cream soda
- In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240F on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/2 heavy cream.
- Mix in the rum extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes. (When I made this recipe, I went the fast route and just used a can of whipped cream for this step. Worked out just fine).
- To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 2 tall glasses (about 1/8 cup for each glass). Add 1/8 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.
You may choose to heat the cream soda. Otherwise, this is more of a lukewarm Butterbeer, rather than hot Butterbeer.
The hot butterbeer recipe could be served cold by either freezing or cooling the final product. As mentioned above, you could also turn them into adult versions for a New Years Eve party or other adult gathering. You can create an alcoholic butterbeer drink by adding Irish cream and/or substituting Irish cream for the heavy cream.
You can create these hot Butterbeer recipes at home. They are perfect to enjoy with your favorite Harry Potter book or while you power watch Harry Potter movies.