Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on these links and make a qualifying purchase, I will receive a small commission from those purchases.
Are face shields the most important travel accessory?
Table of Contents
What Are Face Shields?
Face shields are probably better known as “Buffs,” but that’s a brand name (kind of like facial tissues being known as Kleenex). A face shield is basically just a tube of material you put around your neck. A fancy scarf. A sort of balaclava.
Most Important Travel Accessory?
Why do I say that face shields might be the most important travel accessory? Well, I love items that have multiple uses and have minimal impact on your packing weight. Face shields fit this bill, to a tee! Face shields have so many uses and weigh almost nothing!
- Sunblock — use the face shield to….well…..shield your face and neck from the sun. 🙂
- Handkerchief — I find face shields make for great hankies. They’re soft and easily washed.
- Water filter — although not designed for this use, I’ve found they do a good job of getting dirt and stuff out of any water you may find “along the trail.” I would still highly recommend using a water filter or purifier if you’re out in the wilderness.
- Apparently, you can even use them to tow vehicles. 😛
- Dust mask — they work great for keeping dust out of your mouth and nose when mowing the lawn or off-roading
- Eye mask — go ahead and leave that sleeping mask at home. The Salt Armour faceshields work great for blocking out light for a good night’s sleep on your travels
- Beanie — Face shields can be made into a beanie that does a great job of keeping your head warm and covering up that crazy bed head. 🙂
- Face mask — I use my face shields when I’m hunting to cover my face and provide just one additional way to camouflage myself
This last pic reminds me that one of my favorite additions to my travel kit is the new Salt Armour fleece face shields. They are AMAZING! They are super lightweight. Breathable. And SO WARM!
Why Salt Armour Face Shields?
Well, I’ve talked about Salt Armour face shields, before and why I like them better than the others, but we’ll just revisit my review, real quick as a reminder why I like them, so much.
Salt Armour faceshields are nice and tight on your face. They’re much tighter than a Buff. What’s that mean?
Well, I’ve found, with a Buff, they tend to slip off your nose, pretty easily. I don’t exactly have a small nose and I hate having to constantly pull the Buff back over my nose.
Salt Armour faceshields are just tight enough to stay over my nose without being uncomfortable.
They’re also SUPER inexpensive. I regularly get them, on sale, for about $5 each!
That’s the offer I usually use. The last time I did this deal, I got 5 faceshields for $22, shipped! Sometimes, it’s a little more, based on the offer they’re running (about $15-20 for that first faceshield), but that’s a phenomenal price! One Buff is usually $25-30! For that price, you get 5 Salt Armour faceshields, that are a better product, IMHO!
Also, the Salt Armour faceshields have some of the best designs I’ve ever seen! Skulls, jokers, flags from various countries and old US flags (I love my “Don’t Tread On Me” faceshield), galaxies (Hunter’s favorite), Hawaiian prints (got a compliment on mine from the boat captain on our Hawaii snorkel trip), and of course, my favorite color, camo in all it’s glorious forms.
Quick disclosure: We are affiliates for Salt Armour, but I was a fan WAY before I was an affiliate. I think I have about 20 different Salt Armour faceshields that I bought before becoming an affiliate. I would recommend them, even if I didn’t get a small commission if you buy one through our links.
Other Salt Armour Products
Although I think face shields are the most important travel accessory, Salt Armour does make lots of other products worth checking out. Salt Armour recently sent us a bunch of their products to try out. Sunglasses, arm warmers, fleece face shields, and regular face shields. I encourage you to check out all their products. We have been very happy with all of them. You can see many of them in this vlog from our last Disney Cruise.
With so many uses, I can’t think of another accessory that’s more important to be sure you pack on all your travels — for the plane, in the outdoors, on cruises — than a Salt Armour face shield.